Veterans Support Ministry
We sometimes need to be reminded to welcome and care for those who are placed on the edges of society, particularly people who experienced war and combat. We are called to love, serve and welcome the strangers at our doors, not only by official mandate of our church, but by Jesus Christ when he says, “I was a stranger and you welcomed me.”
ELCA Prayer Book for the Armed Services
Developed with the contributions and review of chaplains and other service members, this durable pocket-sized companion is ideal for those in the military, family and friends of those in active service, veterans, as well as pastors and congregations of those who serve. Click Here to learn more and to place an order.
- Morning and evening prayer for individual use
- Individual use prayers for those who serve, such as:
- Relationships and family concerns such as the birth of a child or absence from a partner during deployment.
- Personal struggles such as anxiety, despair, loneliness, and thoughts of suicide.
- Issues related to field operations and military life such as critical incidents, promotions, and discipline.
- Prayers for physical, emotional, and spiritual healing and strength
- Prayers for congregations with chaplain-pastors or whose members are deployed or returning
- 26 beloved psalms for a variety of circumstances
- The words to 65 well-known hymns and songs, including a section of national songs
- Worship services for use with small or large groups in a variety of contexts