Voting Member Info Due from Congregations
The following request letter was sent to all congregations the week of June 28:
Dear Pastors and Council Members:
As you may be aware, the Synod Council has decided to forego a meeting of the Synod Assembly during 2021. However, the Synod Assembly continues to exist as a legislative body, whether a formal meeting is held or not.
One of the tasks assigned to the Synod Assembly is the selection of voting members to the upcoming Churchwide Assembly in 2022. Churchwide Assembly voting members may be selected without a formal meeting but, in compliance with the laws under which the Synod is incorporated, it is necessary for a majority of the voting members of the Synod Assembly to consent in writing to waiver of the normal process of balloting.
The steps in seeking consent for waiver of balloting are as follows:
- Synod Council must assure that it has a current and accurate list of the Synod Assembly’s voting members, and their mailing addresses.
- We are asking each congregation to confirm the names and addresses of its current lay Synod Assembly voting members, including those who participated as voting members in the 2020 meeting. If the voting members who attended the 2020 meeting are unable to continue to serve and have been replaced by your Congregation Council, or if they have been replaced by election, we ask that you provide us with the names and addresses of the replacements. Please be aware that such replacements are permitted only for voting members who actually participated in the 2020 meeting. If your congregation did not send its allotted number of voting delegates to the 2020 meeting, it cannot permit additional voting members beyond the number that attended in 2020. Our Synod bylaws do not permit additional registrations until another regular meeting of the Synod Assembly is held.
- Please email email@example.com, listing the name and contact information for each lay voting member chosen by your congregation. Each congregation is allotted lay voting members as follows, according to baptized membership: Two voting members for congregations up to 1000 baptized members, 3 voting members for congregations between 1000 and 2000 members, 4 voting members for congregations between 2000 and 3000 baptized members, and so on.
- Please return this information on or before August 15, 2021. If we do not receive new information, we will assume there have been no replacements of lay Synod Assembly members, and no changes of address.
- After this information is collected a mailing will be sent to all properly registered voting members, formally asking for their consent to waiver of balloting for the Churchwide Assembly voting members.
- After completion of an accurate list of all voting members of the Synod Assembly, including rostered leaders and members of the Synod Council, a mailing will be sent out to each voting member, asking them to sign a document that affirms the selection of those persons chosen by each of the Synod’s conferences as voting members of the Churchwide Assembly. If a majority of the voting members of the Synod Assembly sign this document, the Churchwide Assembly members will have been properly selected.
Thank you for your prompt compliance with this request.
If you have questions or concerns about this process, please contact:
Bishop Joy Mortensen-Wiebe (608) 270-0201 or
Synod Vice President Jane Cahill Wolfgram (608) 438-5358