At this point, Crossways is still in need of several key staff members, particularly male cabin leaders.
May 20 – June 15
Prize-winning photos from Dar al-Kalima University College of Arts & Culture
The photos, reflecting Palestinians view of their culture and way of life, will be on display at five Madison-area churches. The display is open to the public daily during regular hours of the each church.
Palestine is contested land. People everywhere watch Palestine, expectantly. Many share stories, images, interpretations and explanations, hoping to build a clearer picture of Palestine. But do Palestinians themselves get to say what Palestine is about? The exhibition is derived from a signature initiative of the Dar Al Kalima University College of Arts and Culture, a Lutheran institution of higher learning in Bethlehem. The exhibit, featuring the ten finalists from the Karimeh Abboud Award Competition – named for a pioneering 20th century Palestinian female photographer – helps us break through icons and stereotypes, in order to experience Palestine as it really is. Listen to the words of photographer Ala’a Abu Salem: “These portraits aim at representing the Palestinian away from any ties, connections or expectations with themes and specific subjects. In short, it is an attempt to break the stereotype and overused image of the Palestinian person.”
Visit each church to see the entire 24 piece exhibit (call for hours):
Midvale Community Lutheran Church, 4329 Tokay Blvd., Madison (608) 238-7119
Christ the Solid Rock Baptist Church, 1502 Parkside Dr., Madison (608) 241-9796
First Congregational Church, 1609 University Ave., Madison (608) 233-9751
Memorial United Church of Christ, 5705 Lacy Rd., Fitchburg (608) 273-1008
Lutheran Church of the Living Christ, 110 N. Gammon Rd., Madison (608) 829-2136
The exhibit is sponsored by Bright Stars of Bethlehem, a 501c3 organization supporting the work of Rev. Dr. Mitri Raheb and the Dar al Kalima University College in Bethlehem.
A reception and banquet in her honor were held at the synod assembly where guests were regaled with stories of her ministry and life as told by colleagues and family. We are grateful for her faithful service serving as both a congregational pastor and bishop of our synod!
McFarland Lutheran Church is looking for a creative and organized person to join our staff team as Administrative Assistant.
Registered Attendees 30 and under are Invited!
12:00 PM – Kalahari – Saturday, May 5
Each year as we gather in assembly, we strive to create opportunities for youth and young adults to gather for a meal and conversation. This year, we invite any registered attendee in this age category to connect with other high school youth or young adults at assembly over lunch. We’ll eat food, plot and dream about the mission of the church, and talk about the events of the assembly.
Student leaders from Lutheran Campus Ministry will welcome and host you. More information will be announced at assembly, but please plan on joining us!
Saturday and Sunday, May 5-6, 2018
Kalahari Resort & Convention Center, Wisconsin Dells
View more information on the 2018 Assembly Page
- Kalen Barkholtz, Renewal Pastor at Christ Lutheran Church in Sharon
- Barb Zimmerman, Member at St. Matthews New Life Lutheran Church in Madison
Pastors and Congregations in our Synod:
- Paula Harris, Interim Episcopal Pastor and members of Luther Memorial Lutheran Church in Delavan
- Mark Williamson and members of Grace Lutheran Church in Dodgeville
- Bishop Jessica Crist and the congregations of the Montana Synod, ELCA
- Sister Noreen H Stevens, Directing Deaconess, Deaconess Community at the ELCA Lutheran Center, Chicago, IL
- Mary Streufert, Director, Justice for Women, Office of the Presiding Bishop at the ELCA Lutheran Center, Chicago, IL
We give thanks at this time for the ministry of those who celebrate their anniversary of Ordination during this coming week:
- Brad Pohlman, April 28, 1996, Pastor at Luther Memorial Lutheran in Madison, email@example.com
- Ulrich Rosenhagen, April 28, 2002, Specialized Ministry at Univeristy of Wisconsin in Madison, firstname.lastname@example.org
We give thanks at this time for the ministry of those who celebrate their anniversary of Commissioning:
- Einstein Gonzalez-Leon, April 26, 2015, Brooklyn, email@example.com
- Meg Nielsen, April 30, 2006, Triangle Ministry in Madison, firstname.lastname@example.org
May these ministry leaders continue to be blessed for service!